Saturday, October 29, 2016
Georgetown County Approved for FEMA Individual Assistance from Hurricane Matthew
FEMA Individual Assistance for damage resulting from Hurricane Matthew is now available for Georgetown County.
Individuals, including homeowners, renters, and business owners who suffered loss or damages due to Hurricane Matthew may register for assistance through the following means:
- Telephone at 800-621-FEMA (3362)
- Online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov
- FEMA’s Mobile Application
- Those who use 711-Relay or Video Relay Services should call 800-621-3362, (800-462-7585 TTY).
Survivors should contact their insurance company to file an insurance claim. FEMA is unable to duplicate insurance payments. However, those without insurance or who may be underinsured may still receive help after their insurance claims have been settled.
- Grant assistance provided by FEMA for homeowners and renters can include:
- Funds to help with rent
- Home repairs to their primary residences
- Other serious disaster-related needs, such as personal and necessary items, moving and storage expenses, transportation, medical and dental expenses, or funeral and burial and reinternment costs caused by the disaster.
- Other relief programs include crisis counseling and legal assistance.
HELPFUL TIPS FOR WORKING WITH FEMA
Jeff Shaw, Principal/President of S&S Recovery Solutions, LLC, offers these helpful tips:
Take a lot of pictures of everything
Try to get an independent estimate for damages to compare with the FEMA inspectors
Remember, FEMA will not make you whole – it is designed to get you back on your feet
Also: this is very important - do not skip a step during the process; e.g. if you are sent a loan application but do not want a loan, please complete the application. If you do not, this will remove you from the process. It is better for you to complete the application and then refuse the loan if it is offered.
Those needing assistance are urged to contact:
- Call 2-1-1 One-stop resource for finding assistance or visit them online at http://www.sc211.org/.
- For assistance with debris or mold clean up, call Helping Hands at 1-800-451-1954,
- For additional needs/concerns, call Georgetown County Emergency Management at (843) 545-3273.
Georgetown County Chamber of Commerce
Brimming with beauty and history along South Carolina's Atlantic Coast, Georgetown County and its charming communities offer you the perfect escape for fun and relaxation. Come, explore our pristine beaches, picturesque waterways and marshes, fascinating marine wildlife, world-class golfing, historic places & museums, intimate dining, quaint shops and memorable family activities.
Thank you for your interest in the Georgetown County Chamber of Commerce. It is our goal to promote business interaction among our members, and provide valuable information and resources to our membership. Along with our business partners and the community we work hard to make Georgetown County a better place to live, work and do business. If you would like to be a part of this growing community please contact us about membership. You can also meet some of our members by attending one of our many events. You can view our location or get directions here.
Just a short distance from other bustling vacation destinations, Georgetown County remains a quiet oasis of natural beauty, preserved history and an easy, relaxed way of life.
- The Chamber
- Member Center
- Business Directory
- Going Into Business
- Relocation & Tourism
- News & Publications