BLACK RIVER UNITED WAY PROGRAM ASSISTANT for GROWING GREAT READERS PROGRAM
The AmeriCorps Assistant Program Coordinator supports the Program Director's efforts to hire and support 37 AmeriCorps members to serve in elementary schools and non-profit community organizations in both Williamsburg and Georgetown Counties.
POSITION HOURS/DATES: 25 hours a week with flexibility.
SALARY: $20,000 per year
REPORTS TO: AmeriCorps Program Director
QUALIFICATIONS OF A SUCCESSFUL APPLICANT: Experience in administrative assistant and volunteer management. Must be sensitive and responsive to the cultural differences in the organization's service population. Associates Degree or equivalent experience preferred.
POSITION DESCRIPTION, RESPONSIBILITIES AND RELATED TASKS:
1. Assist in recruiting, enrolling, training, and supervising AmeriCorps members per the approved grant application.
2. Assist in initiating, completing and properly documenting criminal history checks on members as needed.
3. Coordinating training sessions and training support material for AmeriCorps members for personal, professional, and program development.
4. Tracking AmeriCorps member hours served by conducting Monthly Member Check-in to ensure members are on target with accumulating service hours.
5. Assist with file member paperwork and conduct periodic member file audits to ensure proper documentation using a checklist.
6. Collect and analyze programmatic data.
7. Recruit, Train, and Manage STAR (Success Takes a Reader) Volunteers at their multiple sites.
8. Assist with training Train Site Supervisors and foster spirit of teamwork and partnership between the program and service sites.
9. Deliver classroom supplies, lesson plans, and other resources as needed for the service sites.
10. Attend community fairs, college expo, and volunteer fairs to promote the program and early literacy in the community and recruit volunteers to serve.
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail • Ability to work independently and be self-directed/motivated • Strong problem-solving skills• Experience with Microsoft Publisher, Word, and Excel. • Excellent oral and written communication skills • Ability to multitask • Willing to ask for support and clarification when needed. •Familiarity with AmeriCorps programming preferred.
Key Skills: • Must have excellent organization, communication, interpersonal and telephone skills • Demonstrated oral and written communication skills • Highly organized • Maintain confidentiality • Ability and willingness to travel • Computer literate • Public presentation skills • Proficient in Microsoft Office applications • Ability to read, analyze and interpret data and reports • Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquires or complaints • Ability to calculate figures and amounts, including percentages • Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists • Ability to interpret instructions in a variety of forms • Interacts well with others and is able to maintain positive working relationships throughout the community with diverse groups of people and within a wide variety of work environments • Ability to work with volunteers, committees and board members in the implementation of strategies, plans and projects • Successful track record of managing multiple projects with a diverse customer base
CORE COMPETENCIES: Commitment to Excellence
A personal and professional commitment to excellence and to the mission, values and ethical standards of Black River United Way serving Georgetown and Williamsburg Counties.
• Builds Relationships: Initiates, builds and continuously strengthens relationships with all customers, internal and external, by constantly seeking to understand and respond to customer needs; has demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with diverse groups with a focus on customer service excellence.
• Achieves Results: Demonstrates initiative; maintains a persistently focused effort; results-oriented with a commitment to continuous quality improvement; sets appropriate timeline goals and creates specific plans to meet them; has ability to manage time and activities to successfully implement project or task plans.
• Communicates: Effectively communicates in an open, candid and consistent manner; delivers information effectively in a variety of settings including one-on-one, team, and diverse group presentations or meetings. Delivers information effectively in a variety of formats including written, electronic, oral; small and large group.
• Decisiveness: Exhibits the ability to take initiative in identifying problems, generating possible solutions, and reach a decision on the most effective strategy for a given situation.
• Leadership: Demonstrates strong ethical leadership to achieve high quality, sustainable results; contributes to the team experience by supporting and encouraging ownership of common goals and objectives. Exhibits and embraces core values of integrity and accountability in all actions, communication and decision making.
• Transportation: Must have a driver's license valid in the State of South Carolina and access to an automobile for use during work hours.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
If interested submit cover letter and resume to Tamara Greene at firstname.lastname@example.org. or hand deliver to 515 Front Street. Thank You!